The 2009 Orange Prize Shortlist
The six titles that have been shortlisted for this year’s Orange Prize for Fiction are:
- Scottsboro (Picador, 2008) by Ellen Feldman;
- The Wilderness (Jonathan Cape, 2009) by Samantha Harvey;
- The Invention of Everything Else (Harvill Secker, 2008) by Samantha Hunt;
- Molly Fox’s Birthday (Faber & Faber, 2008) by Deirdre Madden;
- Home (Virago, 2009) by Marilynne Robinson; and,
- Burnt Shadows (Bloomsbury, 2009) by Kamila Shamsie.
The Orange Prize for Fiction was set up in 1996 to celebrate and promote fiction by women throughout the world and is awarded for the best novel of the year written by a woman.
Announcing the shortlist, on April 21, Fi Glover, Chair of judges said: “We have stretched our heads getting to this shortlist!”
“We were right down to the wire on several of the books and choosing just six was far harder than I had imagined, but we all left the judging room proud of the list we have chosen.”
The winner of the £30,000 prize will be announced on 3 June.